Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, October 15, 2007

One week ago....


I was nursing Anna this morning, just thankful to be holding her in my arms. One week ago at that time I was kissing her forehead and sending her off with nurses I had met just moments before. She simply looked up at Joe and I, and her grandparents as if to say, "what's the big deal?" not a clue of what was about to transpire. I was so thankful she was so peaceful and content, not screaming, I think that would have made it harder to let her little hand go.

Our journey had begun about 5 days before this. I had taken Anna to her 2 month checkup at her Pediatrician on Wednesday morning. I had complained because this appt. should have been a week and a half prior, but the Dr. didn't have anything until Anna was almost 10 weeks old. God knew what He was doing, Anna's condition didn't really make itself evident until the few days leading up to this appt. Our Pediatrician was very concerned and wanted to get us into the cardiologist immediately. That afternoon, we spent 4 hours at the hospital getting all kinds of tests done. We were sent home with an aggressive feeding schedule to try to prolong surgery for another couple of weeks. Those 2 days at home were treacherous and I truly felt she was getting worse. I made the call to the Dr. on Friday afternoon and he agreed with everything I was describing that it was best for Anna to be in the hospital and have surgery sooner than later.

Friday night was the worst night poor little Anna has ever experienced. Poking and prodding until 3:00 in the morning. Over the next 2 days she rarely experienced uniterrupted sleep and began to flinch everytime someone would touch her. I can't even count the number of times I told her I was sorry and I would take the pain for her in a heartbeat. We are so thankful she won't remember this pain.

It's hard to describe, but Joe and I both felt relieved that we were at the hospital and it had come time to do the surgery. Knowing it would be in her future, we both agreed we would rather have it done and behind us so that she could experience life to its fullest. To us, Monday morning was the beginning of a new life for Anna. The adrenaline that kept us both going was similar to the adrenaline you feel right after your child comes into the world. We felt excited for her, and not an ounce of worry. It amazes me that we could feel this way, and again, I know that it was because of the prayers being lifted up for us all.

So this Monday morning, one week later, I held in my arms a precious little angel, who I now like to call Pumpkin Pie, and I praised God for bringing her to this place in her life and allowing her to breathe deeply, eat sufficiently and grow appropriately. What an amazing God we serve - look what He can do in a week's time!
(written on Monday, October 15, 2007)

7 comments:

Andy and Jen said...

We prayed so hard for Anna and are so thankful everything turned out well. God is so wonderful to give parents the grace and peace He does in times like this. It's so obvious He has special plans for your family.

anthonyandbeth said...

God has big plans for your little pumpkin pie! how neat it is to read about your journey and how God has worked everything out. Praise the Lord! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and emotions. It really does my heart good to hear how you have been feeling and things you are learning. it is amazing what God has done for Anna this past week!

Vonda said...

Jen, I am amazed at your strength and what an incredible testimony that you are giving God the glory through all of this. I am so thrilled that Anna is doing so much better...we were praying for her too. Love ya -V

dandsratz said...

Look at this perfect little girl in this picture!! Even with the wires attached to her, she is SOOOO cute & SOOOO perfect!!!! I can't wait to hold her again SOON! :)

Ward Blog said...

AWESOME!!!!

Natalie said...

You are so right...what an AWESOME God we serve. We have prayed so hard for you all and have kept Anna's heart close to ours. I am so happy for your family that things have turned out so well. God is so good and faithful.

Katy said...

Wow - it is so amazing to read back on this last week with you!!! How grateful I am to be able to share in the journey with you. Print these out, so that she will be able to one day read about the miracle that God performed on her little tiny body!