Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Moving on Up!


Tuesday evening Anna began to come out of her second sedation and was so alert. I was able to feed her a bottle which was the first food she had actually tasted since Saturday night. She had been on a feeding tube for the past couple of days. We left Tuesday evening to go home again since she had to spend another night in PICU. When we called to check in on her Wednesday morning the nurse said she had been so alert that they ordered her a mobile and she was eating like a little piggie. I remind you, this is the night nurse saying how alert she was! Yes, I am still paying the price for this.
We headed off to Erin's first field trip Wednesday morning and then scooted on to the hospital. We arrived just in time for her big move back to the Step Down Unit 3C where she would do the rest of her recovery. Happy to be nursing again and have a little more privacy, Anna was recooperating so well. She was such a trooper as the nurses came in every 2 hours to check vitals and poke at her. Mommy was exhausted from the constantly interrupted sleep, but knew it would be over soon.
The great news came on Thursday afternoon, Anna was okayed for discharge. We were floored that it all could happen so fast, but we were ready to be at home so we could get back to our normal routine. The first few nights have been an adjustment. Anna got her days and nights mixed up again, but she is quickly returning to her routine. We have been stuck inside this week since they don't want Anna exposed to any sickness. Hopefully next week we can return to getting out a few mornings. I'm looking forward to taking my little Pumpkin Pie to the Pumpkin Patch next week and watching her turn into a round little pumpkin herself. She is so much happier and looks so much healthier.
God has been so gracious throughout this process. If you would have asked me months ago if I could handle my child having open heart surgery, I would have told you not in a million years. I can't explain it, but there is something that happens to you when you are faced with a situation like this. I had a choice, to deny this was happening and crawl into a hole of despair, or to face it with courage and faith that God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Knowing that truth and having to actually live it out are two different things. There are times I feel God gives me more than I can handle - and it is more than I can handle - on my own - that's why He steps in and makes Himself so present that the most unbearable situation becomes bearable. Praise be to God who gives us the power through our Lord Jesus Christ.


3 comments:

Katy said...

Man Jen, you captured it so perfectly in the last part of your blog. It IS more than you can handle - that's why he does it - so that we will fall into his arms and let HIM handle it. So awesome - truly awesome.

anthonyandbeth said...

second what katy said! awesome!

Jayne said...

WOW! Look at you offering encouragement in the middle of your own trials. Not by our own might is right!!