Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, September 8, 2008

Family Treasures

Growing up my Great Aunt Martha(said Matha) was a very special person to me. For as long as I can remember, she made me feel like the most special person in the world. She and my Uncle Robert were more like Grandparents than an Aunt and Uncle. They didn't have any grandkids of their own so they gladly took us in. They were the kind of people that dump the whole cereal box out just to find the toy at the bottom, let you go slip n sliding in your underwear, and played every game in the book with us, and did every craft there was with us. Spending time with them was always a treat and a treasure.

Sadly, they left this world many years ago, but their love made an impact on my life forever. About a year ago, my mom found 6 crosstiches of lighthouses that my Aunt Martha had done many, many years ago. When I saw them, I knew I would love to have them one day. My mom decided that I could have them, and we would get them framed as my Christmas gift last year. After months of shopping around, I finally have them framed and I couldn't be happier with them. There were 6 in all, but framing is very expensive, so I've just done 4 for now.

Lighthouses have a special place in our hearts, and home, but these are so significant because of the hands that made them. I feel so blessed to have a piece of my Aunt Matha's talent in my home. It is surreal to touch something I know her hands were all over. I know one day my girls will understand the impact their Great Great Aunt Matha had on me and I hope we can all learn to be a little bit more like her!



6 comments:

Jenny Rowan said...

Awe I saw those the other day and meant to ask about them. Did not have any idea the story would be this good though :) So, happy for you!!

Katy said...

How BEAUTIFUL!!! What a treasure to have something so special from her!

dandsratz said...

What a special memoire!!! I loved this blog!!!

Heather J said...

I love love love these & the framing is absolutely perfect - what a special gift & decoration!

Andy and Jen said...

You really have a lot of wonderful family memories. You are certainly blessed!

anthonyandbeth said...

what a special keepsake! so glad you have something so special from someone so special!