Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

O...O....October

Oh October is upon us. The nights and days are turning cooler, there's a crispness in the air, the smell of pumpkin flavored muffins and candles fill our home. I' ve always enjoyed the change of seasons and the excitement at the beginning of a season, knowing full well in a month or so I'll be over the weather and ready for another change. Fall is often thought of as a season of abundance, the harvest is full, the mums are in bloom, beautiful colors surround us. I'm claiming that season of abundance in a way I never have before this Fall, specifically this October.

Our past few Octobers have not been months that just flew by without anything major to report. No, for some reason the Lord has chosen October as the month for us where big things happen. October 2007 was when Anna had her heart surgery to repair her VSD. Six days of that month were spent in the hospital holding this frail little girl that had just undergone major trauma. Over this week, I will probably post some of my former posts on this time in our lives, because even now reading through it again, I'm just amazed at what the Lord did.

October 2008 did not involve anything major with our health or the kid's health, but a very dear friend of mine, Heather, informed me that they would be moving out of state. I tried to be the supportive friend since I knew this is what the Lord wanted for them, but it is difficult to lose one of your best friends that has stood by you in the midst of so many storms. So this Oct. was emotionally draining.

And then there is October 2009, which followed a very turbulent September that year. During the month of October I was pretty much homebound with Anna. We had received her official diagnosis of VCFS in September, which involves a low immune system. We also knew she was to have her submucous cleft palate surgery at the end of October which meant for 6 weeks, we needed to keep her healthy. So I stayed home with Anna most of the time being very careful to keep her germ free and ready for surgery. The month ended with her palate surgery on October 29th.

So, as much as I like the beginning of Fall, one may be able to see my concern with the turning of the calendar to October. What's the Lord got in store for us this October? That's where abundance comes in! I'm taking a Bible Study right now called Faithful, Abundant, True - and I knew before I started God had something big for me in this study. We are in the middle of abundance right now and I can feel it building. Priscilla says, "The abundant life is when, in the midst of your impossible situation, you say, "Now is the time!" I have seen God's abundance every month of the year, but I've seen it the most in these past Octobers. When I was in the most difficult, impossible situations I've ever faced, He shows up and shows me how Abundant He is. I grow closer to Him in those times, my faith is increased, my worship is deeper, because I'm clinging to the only true thing I know and His promise to see me through. The fullness of God, all that He has to offer is right there waiting for me and it often takes a difficult circumstance to thrust me into it.

So praise the Lord that it's October. Maybe He will allow me to experience His abundance without a major trial this month. He's already been at work throughout September with some things that have been weighing on our family and I'm praying that we're in that time of abundance already. He is so faithful, His mercies are new every day and His promises sustain me. "Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we can ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work in us, to Him be the glory!" Eph. 3:20

1 comment:

Katy said...

wow jen. thanks so much for sharing this post. what a treasure to be able to look back and read those pasts from previous octobers specifically...and then be able to fast forward and see how God graciously answered those prayers and showed up to make Himself known. That is an awesome study - don't you love how God handpicks these studies for us! :)